I am a recovering diet-soda-a-holic. I do not drink coffee so I used to have 1-2 Diet Dr. Peppers every single morning to wake me up. Zero calories and caffeine seems like a good idea, right? Boy was I wrong. Here are the top 5 reasons WHY!
- People who drink diet soda think they are more healthy so they may feel like they can eat more calories. Like for example they think well, I didn’t have that 140 calories on that can of coke so I will have a bag of chips instead. Opting for diets soda doe not mean you should load up on other food with empty calories. Studies show that overall people who consume diet soda are overall less healthy than those who don’t.
- Artificial Sweetener actually makes you crave more calories. Your body THINKS it is getting some high calorie food and then it doesn’t show up. It can make you then want MORE food, the food that you told your body was coming.
- It makes you crave sweet. You may thing that diet coke is going satisfy your sweet tooth but in fact it just makes you want MORE sweets. You get used to enjoying lots of sweet foods and that can increase your cravings even more.
- You gotta drink something so why not drink something that will HELP you and not hurt you. For example something like green tea or even coffee is much more natural than soda and can actually have some nutrition. Or even better how much a smoothie loaded with fruits, veggies and superfoods!
- A University of Texas?study?found that people who drank two or more diet sodas a day had waist-size increases that were six times greater than non-drinkers. Diet drinks are loaded with deceptively sweet artificial sweeteners, which, researchers say, trick the metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way, spike insulin levels, and shift the body from a fat-burning to a fat-storing state.
AND In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body?fat?in just two weeks ? EVEN eating less calories. In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in?diet sodadrinkers.