- Ask to swap a potato for a veggie. Carbs are not the enemy but you don’t need bread, potato and dessert so pick one. For example, if you’re going to have dessert maybe you skip the bread and swap your fries or potato for a veggie. Or maybe you skip dessert and eat the fries.
- Take half to go. Many places give you way more than a normal serving of food, so take half to go so you don’t overeat.
- Ask for less butter/oil/salt. These are not bad for you in normal portions but places often overdo it, so just ask for a little less when they are cooking.
- Ask for sauces/dressing on the side. This makes it so the food isn’t soaked in it and you can simply use as much as you like. Added bonus, if you don’t like your food isn’t covered in it.
- Remember it’s one meal. No one meal is going to make you healthy and no one meal is going to make you unhealthy. If you are eating out once a week, enjoy it.
I truly believe that diets can’t be sustained but lifestyle changes will ensure you can keep living a way that makes you feel good and is sustainable.
If you are local, here are some of my fave dine out options